Breast Reduction Surgery
- Breast Reduction surgery is a procedure to reduce the size of excessively large Breasts
- Excessively large breast may cause back pain, neck pain, grooves in shoulders from the bra strap.
- Breast Reduction surgery alleviates the discomfort associated with overly large breasts.
- In a breast reduction, the surgeon removes tissue and skin to make breasts smaller and perkier.
Breast reduction surgery is advised to females because of discomfort arising from excessively large Breasts. Excessively large breast may cause back pain, neck pain, grooves in shoulders from the bra strap. It can solve these problems as well as Improve the size & shape of your breast.
Reduction mammoplasty is the plastic surgery procedure for correcting over-sized breasts. In a breast reduction surgery for re-establishing a functional bust that is proportionate to the woman’s body, the critical corrective consideration is the tissue viability of the nipple-areola complex (NAC), to ensure the functional sensitivity and lactational capability of the breasts. The indications for breast reduction surgery are three-fold — physical, aesthetic, and psychological — the restoration of the bust, of the woman’s self-image, and of her mental health. In corrective practice, the surgical techniques and praxis for reduction mammoplasty also are applied to mastopexy (breast lift). Moreover, the correction of gynecomastia (woman’s breast) is the analogous, enlarged male breast reduction surgery procedure, wherein there is no consideration of lactation capability.
FAQS ABOUT BREAST REDUCTION SURGERY
Am I a candidate for Breast Reduction surgery?
Yes, if you have any of the following symptoms,
- Asymmetry in Breast size.
- Back & Neck pain because of the heavy weight of Breast.
- Indentations on your shoulder due to tight bra straps.
- Rashes underneath the breast.
- Breasts are large in proportion to your body size.
- Heavy pendulous breast with Nipple Areola complex (NAC) pointing downwards.
- Physical disability like shortness of breath, due to large size breast.
Breast reduction surgery is usually done in early adolescence or after pregnancy & Breastfeeding. In adolescence, it’s advisable to wait until breast development has been completed. Pregnancy & breastfeeding may have significant changes in size and shape of Breast, therefore the procedure is recommended after completion of Family.
Weight should stabilize before surgery.
What will be my breast size after Breast Reduction Surgery?
During Consultation, the surgeon will ask your desired Breast size & shape. The Surgeon will assess your Breast size & shape, the position of NAC, quality of skin & Body frame. This will help surgeon understand your expectations & will let you know what really can be achieved.
How is Breast reduction Surgery done?
- Breast reduction surgery involves removal of excess Breast tissue, Fat & skin. The Nipple & Areola are shifted to a higher position. The size of the areola is also reduced. Skin that was formerly located above the nipple is brought down and together to reshape the breast. This would result in smaller & more attractive Breast.
- Liposuction is usually required for Axillary & lateral chest wall folds.
- There are various techniques for Breast Reduction, each having its advantages & disadvantages The surgeon will discuss with you the various techniques & let you know which one is best for you.
- The decrease in sensations of Nipple Areola Complex.
- Breastfeeding in future pregnancy may not be proper.
- Scars around the NAC, Vertical scar in inferior half & may be along the Inframammary fold also. The scars are designed such that they are hidden even in low neck dresses. The scars fade off over time but do not go completely.
How do I proceed with breast reduction surgery?
- After Consultation with the surgeon, you will be asked to get few blood tests done, to ascertain your general fitness for Breast Reduction Surgery.
- You are asked to come to the clinic in the morning on the day of surgery.
- Breast Reduction Surgery is done under General Anesthesia. The Breast Reduction Surgery last 3-4hrs on an average.
- You will be shifted to your room after Breast Reduction Surgery. Your Breast would be wrapped in gauze dressings. Drainage tubes will be there.
- Drainage tubes will be removed on Day 2 after Breast Reduction Surgery. After which you can go home.
- There may be some Post operative Swelling & bruising over the chest, but it settles down fast.
- First, follow up on the 7th day after surgery. Your gauze dressings will be changed.
- Second Follow up on the 10th day for stitch removal.
- You will be asked to wear support/ sports bra for 1- 3 months.
- You can resume your personal chorus from the next day of surgery. But we advise you to keep your activities restricted for at least 7 days.
- Vigorous movements of the arm may be restricted for few weeks.
- Sexual activities are restricted for few weeks.
The Nipple Areola sensations & ability to Breastfeed are preserved.
The Scar lines generally fade over time. However, they are permanent lines & may be in some women they may be more noticeable. But they are easily concealed by clothing, even in low cut necklines.
What can go wrong?
- Breast Reduction surgery as such is quite safe, however, anyone considering Breast Reduction Surgery should be aware of risks associated with the procedure
- Reactions to Anesthesia/ Drugs.
- Hematoma(Blood collection)/ Seroma requiring drainage.
- Infection requiring Higher Antibiotics.
- Flap necrosis
- Nipple Areola Necrosis.
- At Harleys clinic, we take full aseptic precautions & standard surgical protocols are followed to minimize the incidence of any such unfortunate
What is the cost of Breast reduction surgery?
Harleys Cosmetic Clinic in Mumbai is the most cost-effective destination for your procedure.Here Procedures are performed as per International standards at Indian prices.