Gynecomastia (Male Breast)
Gynecomastia Surgery & Treatment In Mumbai
- Gynecomastia meaning ‘Women like breast’ is a medical term used for abnormal Male Breast Enlargement.
- Gynecomastia affects up to two-thirds of pubescent boys and half of all men.
- Fat cells produce small amounts of estrogen, which further fuels male breast enlargement.
Although rarely talked about, this condition is far more common than men realize. Gynecomastia may affect one Breast or both.
Gynecomastia or Male breast enlargement that arises in puberty often resolves on its own, within a matter of months, as hormone levels normalize. When the condition arises in adulthood, it tends to persist. Here’s why: As men age, they tend to lose testosterone and gain weight. The former contributes to gynecomastia (which is actually defined as enlargement of glandular tissue within the breasts), the latter to a related condition known as pseudo-gynecomastia, in which enlargement is caused by deposits of fatty tissue under the breasts, explains Jacobs. What’s more, scientists now know that fat cells produce small amounts of estrogen, which further fuels male breast enlargement.
FAQS Gynecomastia Surgery & treatment
Am I a candidate for Gynecomastia treatment?
Why did Gynecomastia happen to men?
Although the majority of cases happen due to unknown aetiology (idiopathic) but certain drugs such as anabolic steroids, Alcohol, Marijuana etc. & some diseases like Impaired Liver function, cancers etc. may cause Enlargement of the Male Breast.
Do I need to undergo Gynecomastia Surgery?
During Consultation, you will be asked about your expectations. The surgeon will evaluate your chest size, glandular enlargement, skin quality & determine what can be achieved.
What is Gynecomastia Surgery?
Typically it involves Liposuction done through a small stab incision in the axilla, to remove the excess fatty & Glandular tissues. If a Glandular tissue is firm, it needs to be excised by a small incision in the periareolar area. In Post Bariatric cases, Skin excision may also be needed.
Will my Chest look Normal after Gynecomastia Treatment? Will I have loose skin?
Gynecomastia Surgery will result in a firm, flat & more contoured chest. Skin because of its elastic property will reshape to chest new contour. Results are permanent.
Will there be any scar after Gynecomastia treatment?
There is small (5-6mm)scar at the entry point of Liposuction ports, which will be hidden in an Axillary crease. There may be some scarring in Nipple-Areola region but it fades away with time.
How can I proceed with Gynecomastia Surgery?
- After Consultation with the surgeon, you will be asked to get few blood tests done, to ascertain your general fitness for Gynecomastia Surgery.
- Gynecomastia or Male Breast reduction is a day care procedure. You are asked to come to the clinic in the morning.
- Gynecomastia is done under Sedation/General Anesthesia. The Gynecomastia Surgery lasts for 1-2hrs on an average.
- You will be shifted to your room after that. Your Chest would be wrapped in gauze dressings.
- You can go back home in evening.
- There may be some Postoperative Swelling and bruising over the chest, but it settles down fast.
First, follow up on the 3rd day after Gynecomastia surgery. Your gauze dressings would be removed and will be asked to wear a pressure garment for at least 1-3 months.
After that, you will be called on the 7th day for stitch removal.
When can I resume my normal activities after Gynecomastia surgery?
You can resume your personal chorus in the evening. But we advise you to keep your activities restricted for at least 3 days.
Vigorous movements of the arm may be restricted for few weeks.
What can go wrong with Gynecomastia Treatment?
- Every year thousands of men undergo successful breast Reduction or Gynecomastia surgery, however, anyone considering surgery should be aware of risks associated with the procedure
- Reactions to Anesthesia/ Drugs.
- Hematoma(Blood collection)/ Seroma requiring drainage.
- Infection requiring Higher Antibiotics.
- Minor Asymmetry, which may require some touch-up procedure.
- At Harleys clinic, we take full aseptic precautions and standard surgical protocols are followed to minimize the incidence of any such unfortunate complications.
What does Gynecomastia Surgery cost in Mumbai?
Harleys Cosmetic clinic is the cost-effective destination for your Gynecomastia Treatment or Gynecomastia surgery in Mumbai. Here Procedures are performed as per International standards at Indian prices.